Town of Stallings, NC
How Home Should Feel
The Town of Stallings is seeking a highly motivated, skilled, knowledgeable Town Engineer experienced with growth and development, transportation and roadway projects, stormwater management and infrastructure. The role of the Town Engineer oversees the development and maintenance of public infrastructure which includes Town streets, sidewalks, and stormwater systems. Engineering is additionally responsible for managing all capital improvement construction projects that are funded by the Town. The next Town Engineer will be effective in leading the Department in an engaged fashion both internally and externally while supporting the needs of a growing community.
The Community: Stallings residents have a sense of pride in the community. Throughout its history and continuing today, Stallings has retained its small-town friendliness. Community culture is supportive and demonstrated through community events and citizen participation, volunteering, and cooperation for the greater good of the community.
Stallings is located just outside of Charlotte in Union County with easy access to its regional amenities. It's within a few hours of the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Carolina coast while providing close access to transportation networks (I-485, U.S. 74), Amtrak service, and both regional and international airports. With a population of over 16,685 people, Stallings is a thriving Charlotte suburb that has all the conveniences of the larger surrounding cities while still maintaining the small-town atmosphere that makes it unique.
Organizational and Position description and responsibilities:
The Town of Stallings operates under a Council/Manager form of government and provides a full range of services to its citizens, supported by the Town Manager, an Assistant Town Manager, and seven staff departments: Administration; Engineering; Finance; Human Resources; Parks, Planning and Zoning; Police; and Public Works.
The Town Engineer oversees the departments of Engineering and Public Works and must work effectively across departments, community stakeholders, citizens, developers, consultants as well as local, state and federal agencies to ensure that the goals of the Town are met.
The Town Engineer is responsible for planning and directing engineering projects, enforcing stormwater regulations, reviewing development plans, administering engineering contracts. The Town Engineer is the point of contact with State and local partners, interfacing with NCDOT because the main road thoroughfares in Town are State owned, managing the relationship with the Union County Public Works Department, which owns and operates the area’s public water and sewer utility system, and also the Union County Building Code Department. Additionally, the Town Engineer serves as a liaison on utility issues with Union County over water/sewer and building code issues, and representing the Town on the TCC board for the Charlotte Regional Transportation Planning Organization (CRTPO). The Engineering Department oversees the growth and development of the Town’s remaining utility systems, including streets and stormwater.
The Town Engineer manages the Associate Town Engineer and Public Works Director and oversees a budget of more than $1.5 million as well as managing various capital projects from other departments with diverse budgets ranging from less than $20,000 to approximately $8 million. To learn more about the department, please visit: https://www.stallingsnc.org/Your-Government/Departments/Engineering-Stormwater or https://www.stallingsnc.org/Your-Government/Departments/Public-Works
Key priorities for the next Town Engineer are:
- ensuring outstanding customer service delivery both internally and externally;
- managing the stormwater program and maintaining compliance with regulations;
- managing projects, reviewing plans, and enforcing local regulations;
- collaborating with NCDOT on highway initiatives; and,
- developing and growing staff to ensure continuity of work and to increase engagement.
Qualifications: Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with major course work in civil engineering or related field and extensive experience in civil engineering work including at least 3 years of supervisory experience working with 2 or more direct reports. Experience working for a local government is preferred but otherwise extensive experience working with local governments is required. A PE is required.
The successful candidate has a proven track record and:
- enjoys engaging with people to communicate, motivate and strategically partner to accomplish the goals of the Town;
- has an awareness of and experience in existing trends that impact engineering projects such as utilities, floodplain management, transportation initiatives, and possesses deep understanding of core engineering services offered in Stallings: stormwater, floodplain issues, street and sidewalk maintenance, traffic engineering, land development, and civil engineering in general;
- understands the challenges of managing and prioritizing solutions for aging infrastructure;
- ability to understand the perspectives of regulators and developers while balancing the needs of the Town.
- builds collaborative external relationships with NCDOT, contractors, developers, engineers, architects and business leaders to effectively meet Town goals;
- demonstrates experience and skills in effectively managing relationships with professional services firms and contractors;
- effectively understands budgeting and funding initiatives for projects such as grants, bonds and other finance strategies;
- leverages internal relationships within the department as well as other Town Departments to seek win-win solutions on complex problems;
- commits to outstanding customer service and collaborative approaches to resolving conflicts and differences of opinion while supporting and advocating for employees, the department and Town regulations;
- has a deep knowledge of applicable federal, state and local laws, codes and regulations governing the administration of public utility functions and activities;
- is experienced in strategic planning leading to effective management of complex projects with multiple stakeholders, goals and agendas;
- is an innovative and creative problem solver who is willing to take new approaches to solving old problems; and,
- is an effective listener who seeks input from relevant parties, realistically assesses plans and consistently communicates in an excellent and effective manner, including one on one, small groups and public speaking, who confidently and persuasively engages citizens, community groups, staff, and Council.
Salary range and Application Process: The full salary range is $ $78,929 to $116,514 with an anticipated hiring range of $85,000- $97,000 (actual beginning salary will be commensurate with qualifications). The Town offers a highly competitive benefits package. Additional information about the benefits package is available here (or copy and paste; https://www.stallingsnc.org/Portals/0/Stallings/Departments/Human%20Resources/Documents/TOWN%20OF%20STALLINGS%20Employee%20Benefits.pdf?ver=wi61jwokhPDGf6DNmVct1g%3d%3d
To apply, go to https://agency.governmentjobs.com/developmentalassociates/default.cfm and click on the Town Engineer – Stallings link. To learn more about the selection process, visit Client Openings (or copy and paste into your browser: https://developmentalassociates.com/client-openings/). All applications must be fully completed and submitted online via the Developmental Associates application portal – NOT the Town portal, nor any other external website; it is not sufficient to send only a resume. Resumes and cover letters can be uploaded with the application. Applicants should apply by May 23, 2021. Application review begins May 27, 2021. Finalists will participate in virtual interviews and skill assessments on June 15-16, 2021. Interviews with the Town Manager and leadership team will follow at a subsequent time. All inquiries should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Town of Stallings is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Developmental Associates, LLC is managing the recruitment and selection process for this position.