"All prospects bid fair to make this locality of much future importance."
These were the words of M.T. Stallings in 1912 as he predicted the future of the 200 acres he had purchased in western Union County. Just ten years before, M.T. left Harrisburg, N.C., where he had worked as a farmer, merchant, and magistrate. During the next decade, M.T.'s brother Martin bought additional land, a sawmill was opened, and the fledgling community - already called Stallings - had a country store and a school with 75 students. Martin Stallings was the father of Carl "Tip" Stallings, who became the first Mayor of the town after its incorporation.
Union County's population grew steadily for the next few decades, and Stallings saw change as well. The area remained unincorporated, even as more families called the area home. Most of these families were farming the land, growing cotton, watermelons, and corn. The country store changed ownership four times, but always kept the same name: "The Country Store." U.S. Route 74 was built in the early 1950s and became a key connection between Union and Mecklenburg counties.
In 1959, a law was passed that would eventually lead to the incorporation of the Town. The Annexation Act allowed municipalities to engage in involuntary annexation of contiguous areas. As Union County's growth accelerated in the 1960s and 1970s, so did annexation. The residents of the Stallings area decided to incorporate in order to retain control over local decisions. The Town of Stallings was officially incorporated on June 24, 1975.
Growth throughout the next twenty-five years was steady, thanks to the ever-increasing size of Charlotte. Developments sprung up in all directions, and the population of Stallings rose from 1,826 in 1980 to 3,189 in 2000. Town staff grew from one part-time to eight full-time employees. In 1999, the first Town Administrator was hired.
The dawn of the 21st century changed everything. The municipalities of Union County started annexing as much newly developed land as possible, and Stallings joined in the rush. A 2001 annexation along Stevens Mill Road and Lawyers Road doubled the population and size of the Town overnight. The pre-recession economy boomed, and even more developments were built. The growth resulted in the Town's first major infrastructure commitments. A police department was created in 2004; a new Town Hall was constructed a year later. The former Town Hall, now known as the Carl "Tip" Stallings Civic Building, is available for public use and additional Town functions.
Stallings Municipal Park underwent a complete renovation from 2011 to 2013, and has won several state and local awards for its design and popularity. The Parks and Recreation department is now able to host a wide variety of events, including Stallings Fest (the Town's signature event), Christmas tree lighting, concerts in the park, and a barbecue.